Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sometimes all you get is a big sink of dirty dishes...

I've made allot of banana bread in my life... and I always use the same recipe from a trusty crusty cookbook that has been around since I was a little kiddo. Everyone seems to love it, a few people (you know who you are) ask me to make it weekly and my oldest son can eat an entire loaf in a few short hours if I let him.

In my quest to possibly expand on my banana bread repertoire, I was lured in by a beautifully delicious photo of a Black and White Banana Loaf from my new cookbook. During my mise en place I diligently weight all the ingredients with the thought that this recipe was going to rival my tried and true and it would be easier to weight than measure next time.

Delicious smells of chocolate, banana and the holiday season (probably the nutmeg) wafted from the kitchen. Finally out of the oven, I set it aside to cool for a bit until the cross your fingers moment of turning it out. Tap, tap, tap a bit its not budging... tap some more, nothing but crumbs, slam it on the counter and 1/4 of the loaf comes out of the pan! Crap! All is not lost because even if its not purdy its sure to be tasty because its smells awesome. I give it a taste... sick! What a strange combo of flavors! Chocolate covered bananas are good! What the hell... I think the nutmeg, lemon zest and rum did this in.... now that I see all those words together, I don't know what I was thinking, actually kinda makes my stomach turn a bit.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Oh, too bad! Mine mellowed down and got better after sitting overnight. The flavors blended better. Still not my favorite recipe, though.