Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stacks of Red Velvet

I'm not to keen on using recipes that I haven't tried in the past for a paying customer, it makes me super nervous because I don't know how said recipe is going to react to being stack or sliced into shapes that are often times unusual for cake (ie. not round/square).

In the case of the Guitar cake, I had two Red Velvet recipes in mind, and I had planned on trying them both out the week before. But alas my PD (procrastination disease) kicked in and before I knew it, it was time to bake the cake.

I thought the best course of action was to use the recipe straight from a fellow caker and true southerner (and lets not forget the 40 years of family testing to boot). Knox says "Upon first taste in the mouth, the true red velvet should have somewhat of a "bite" to it, almost imperceptible." Although I couldn't use the traditional Marykay Icing the cake was fricken fantasic. I had to throw away the heaps of scraps last night so that I wouldn't nibble on them as I finished the cake.

3 comments:

Ms.Hart said...

Ill be your test dummy...bring it on...

Kn0x said...

Oh Nichi! Thanks so much for the great review on the RV cake recipe! And of course, you know I am bowing down to your gorgeous design work on that cake too...WOW you do great work!

Looking forward to more great reads...

Sincerely,
--Kn0x--

Suzanne said...

even though this is an older post..I'm cracking up at PD...I think I suffer from that too!