Monday, September 29, 2008

TWD: Creme Brulee

This is my first week participating in Tuesdays with Dorie, the main reason why I started this blog in the first place. Since leaving school I mostly make cakes and the dreaded sugar cookie, so joining up with the people over at TWD is hopefully a way to challenge my skills or at least keep me fresh with new techniques.

Case in point, I haven't made any creme brulee since the custard course in school. The method on this recipe had me re-reading it several times looking for the words water bath... but it was no where to be found. Nice!

It did make a sad amount, very shallow as you can see from the photos and I only used 4 ramekins when the recipe called for 6, maybe mine were on the larger side I dunno. Because the brulee was so shallow when I torched the tops (with my decidedly crappy arse torch) it heated up the custard underneath fairly quickly so as you can see there isn't a really nice caramel top on there, but it was tasty ;)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

my faveeeeeeeeeeee mmmmmm!

Barbara said...

Glad it was tasty, at least! Welcome to TWD!