Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nut Job

I remember when I was a kid my mom had two favorite treats that she would tend to keep to herself. You know a secret stash unsuitable for ankle biters like us. Peanut brittle and Good & Plenty, of which the latter I could live without because licorice is one of those things that doesn't agree with me. I once snuck into the stash and proceeded to covertly chew the candy coating off the little buggers. Alas the outside being as thin as it was would always give way to licorice flavored tar-like centers before I could get any satisfying amount of the candy shell down my little gullet. Whenever my mom would share (never finding the holy grail of brittle myself) some of her brittle with us it was such a treat.
Now that I got skills (probably in my own mind) to make brittle on my own I usually throw in Cashews instead of peanuts, you know cuz their fancy and make up an extra batch to spread the love.

Small Batch Nut Brittle~Double it up if you want to share with your kids.

  • 8 oz. Granulated Sugar
  • 4 oz. Corn Syrup
  • 4 oz. Water
  • 1 c. Nuts
  • 1 oz. Unsalted Butter
  • 1 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt

In a large heavy sauce pot combine sugar, water & corn syrup and cook to a light amber color. Add in the nuts and cook until it becomes darker amber in color, remove from the heat and add in butter, vanilla, salt & baking soda. Stir to combine and spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow the mixture to cool slightly and stretch it to thin it out and break it up a bit. Allow to cool completely and break into bite size pieces.

No comments: