Tuesday, October 28, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes

I make cupcakes from time to time, but I have to confess that I don't really like cupcakes (shhh...don't tell anyone). They quickly became the bane of my existence at CSCA. My chef instructor loved to have buffets you see, and our class being Patisserie & Baking students were tasked with creating the dessert buffet, which in theory sounds fun because who doesn't love dessert. But while the other Culinary students slaved away on interesting exotic dishes from Mexico or Morocco we had to make cupcakes.... lots and lots of cupcakes. And not pretty beautiful interesting cupcakes.... just the boring run of the mill make sure you crank out 10 dozen stat sort. This buffet of burden actually did teach me one thing that I probably wouldn't have learned otherwise.... I could never work in a commercial bakery, in my mind it would be akin to working in the post office, a never ending assault of cupcakes that would eventually make me go postal. A little while after graduating from Pastry school, a friend of one of my classmates got in contact with me to do their wedding cake and wouldn't you know it they wanted cupcakes! When they uttered these words a vision of my classmate laughing maniacally flashed before my eyes...bwahaha.... call Nicole, she lloooovveesss making cupcakes!

I thought of many a reason not to make the recipe chosen by Clara at I Heart Food 4 Thought, from it being 90 degrees outside to several reports of these cupcakes being on the dry side over at the Tuesdays with Dorie blog. I put my cupcake issues aside and made them anyway...mostly because my honey is grouchy, and maybe a chocolate chocolate cupcake will put him in a better mood... I added extra chocolate chips in the batter just in case. They turned out pretty good, very crumbly but not dry, maybe leaving two whole eggs instead of the 1 yolk 1 whole egg per the recipe will keep the crumb intact. The recipe for the glaze was stingy at best, I would surely make a double batch next time because there was just barely enough to coat each cupcake in a very thin layer.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

I was nervous about the glaze being too little as well! Your cupcake looks adorable!

Maria said...

The cupcakes look fantastic!! Wish I could have a taste!

CB said...

Oh you poor thing! Not sure I could like cupcakes if it was a cupcake assembly line either. Glad you decided to bake them anyways. Love the glitter skull. Thanks for baking with me this week!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Rebecca said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I worked in a German bakery, and if someone asked me to make apple strudel, I'd go running into the night, never to be seen again. ;)

Adam said...

hey it's adam! the man that brought you my friends with the cupcake request haha randomly found your blog nicole :) cute cupcakes! I don't know if I've ever shared this recipe with you but it makes the most amazing chocolate cake that would be perfect for cupcakes. (we once left the cake out over night and it was STILL perfectly moist the next day. this cake is insane.)

Moist Chocolate Cake (Mozza Bday)
Yield 2x Full Sheet

2# 4oz H20
9 oz Cocoa Powder

42oz AP
62oz Sugar
1½oz Baking Soda

2#4oz Buttermilk
28oz Oil
6 Eggs
Vanilla Extract


Combine water and cocoa powder in sauce pan and whisk together cooking over low-medium heat until pudding like. Cool.

Place dries into Hobart with paddle attachment. Mix just to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together all of the liquid ingredients minus the water. Slowly add to dries until incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and mix until just combined. Be sure to scrape the bowl to incorporate chocolate evenly. Pour into parchment lined sheet trays.

joanna said...

first off, i think it's crazy you don't like cupcakes!!! i've lost track of how many i've consumed haha you do make them really cute.

Nichi said...

Adam! How the heck did you find my blog... could you sense that I was talking smack about your evil cupcake trickery!

Barbara said...

Oh no, cupcake overload -- too bad! Glad these turned out OK for you.

Adam said...

actually i was looking at the wedding pictures and remembered your website and wanted to see what you were up to these days ;) sorry if it came off as cupcake stalker-y haha keep in touch! :) adammarca@gmail.com