Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream

When I saw this recipe for Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream in an early October edition of Gourmet I took it as my chance to use up a box of Ibarra Mexican Chocolate in my cupboard for quite awhile now. I love the interesting flavor but its a pain in the arse to be honest. The chopping of the chocolate and digging out a sauce pan to warm the milk.... it's all a messy process, especially when you grew up making watery instant hot cocoa with the dehydrated little marshmallows inside. However much hot chocolate is not worth my time, home made ice cream is always worth the effort, so I got to work early this morning to make sure we had it all frozen for dessert.

Of course I had to tweek the recipe a little to accommodate what I had in the house. I used only 3 disks of chocolate when it asked for 3 1/2 and instead of half & half I used 2 cups whole milk plus 1 3/4 cup cream. Not a rebellious change of course and it came out fantastic. It's got a bit of a gritty texture and a mellow chocolate taste.

2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Nichi, first time on your blog. Your use of Mexican chocolate caught my attenton. I love chocolate but more so Mexican. I was looking at your previous post and he Grimm Reaper cake is fabulous. You've got some great stuff here. Great work. You can find me at http://chocolateloreandmore.blogspot.com

Nicole (Nico's Eats) said...

I haven't yet tried to make homemade ice cream, but when I do, it will be this! Looks delicious.