Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TWD: Pain in the Kugelhopf

I thought this Kugelhopf was meant to be... really I did. See I was at the thrift store looking for teacup sets for a project and I happened to find a beautiful kugelhopf pan so I thought it was destiny. Of course a regular bunt pan would suffice but the kugelhopf pan has more swirly decorative bits so I couldn't pass it up for $5 bucks now could I?

On Saturday laundry loomed in great heaping piles and the weeks collection of Tivo called my name so I started the dough fairly late in the day. I opted for the overnight rest in the fridge and turned my microwave into a mini proofer in the morning to let the dough take on its final rise. This dough being very airy baked up fairly quick. The new (though slightly used) kugelhopf pan did not disappoint. Out of the oven and on with the melted butter and liberal dusting of powdered sugar. I cut a few slices for me and my honey to taste test. I think it was OK- nothing to waste two days of prep on. My honey says it tastes "old." I immediately think, could my slightly used pan make an old slice of bread, dang I scrubbed that thing twice!? "Yeah old, kinda like garlic?" Eh? What the heck? Thinking he's just addle brained on a Sunday afternoon I slice another piece and take a good whiff. Yup GARLIC! Apparently even though you don't smell garlic on your pastry brush it still could be lingering and ruin your two days of baking... oh well at least it wasn't the pan.

11 comments:

Jodie said...

Sad! All that time and effort! I've been thinking I need a pastry brush just for baked goods so no BBQ sauce or olive oil flavor gets into my cakes!! :)

Steph said...

How funny! Hey, now you have a savory Kugelhopf to have with dinner!

chocolatechic said...

What a bummer.

I am so glad that it looked good in your new to you pan.

Jill said...

I'm sorry about the garlic, but it looks lovely!

TeaLady said...

You may have created a whole new kugel flavor. Lucky you to find a kugel pan and so reasonable. It looks yummy!!

Megan said...

Ohh, that would have killed me.

I can't tell you how many times I have chastised my husband for using my pastry brush for barbecue sauce. Now I hide my good brush, so that there aren't any mysterious flavors in the baked stuff.

But at least it wasn't the pan!

Pamela said...

Well, garlic certainly does have some staying power, doesn't it? It did seem like fate for you to find that pan with the recipe looming. Sorry it wasn't a fantastic recipe. I skipped it this week. :o(

AmyRuth said...

Darn, hate that! Had that happen to me on my baking silpats when I baked some baguettes with garlic. It was tough getting rid of the garlic. Good luck.
Still it looks beautiful and now you know how to do it.
AmyRuth

Eunice said...

Awww imagine your face when you sniffed out the garlic! LOL I would have laughed, then cried..and laughed again. 2 days of hard work, but it looks lovely! and maybe you should put butter and garlic and give it a nice toast eh?

;-) cheer up! next tuesday's a'comin!

Madam Chow said...

Eek! Great reminder to use a clean pastry brush, something that I often forget to do!

Carla said...

HAHAHA Oh no! At first I thought you were going to say the garlic came from your used pan, but at least it was your pastry brush! Lesson learned - have a specific brush for baked goods (judging by your comments at least you weren't the only one!) I love getting bargains. My bundt pan only cost $1 at a yard sale.