Sunday, November 2, 2008

YWP: Pies as a Fashion Statement!

In my ignorance of blog baking challenges, I though that the first challenge over at You Want Pies With That? was a hard one until I saw challenge two, Pies as a Fashion Statement! Honestly I almost skipped it because in my life, fashion statements stop at what's clean in the dryer.

Like most girls I do have a penchant for shoes.....from cool tennies to high heels, but how does that translate to pie? Besides no one would ever call my shoe choices fashionable, they teeters more on the far side of strange. I love patterns and colors and usually have to stop myself from buying shoes that couldn't possibly go with anything in my closet. Still shoes and pies don't go no matter how I tried to spin it. So I threw out the shoes or more like hid them in the back of my closet with the others and applied my love of patterns and colors to the crust.

I wanted to create sort of a batik fabric look, so I used patchwork cutters to pattern the crust and then painted it with food coloring. I was surprised at how bright the crust remained, I imagined it fading while baking, I might try this technique to gussy up my holiday pies. For the inside we found some beautiful Arkansas Black Apples at the farmers market on Saturday. I had high hopes because the apples, before baking they were so good, but when baked up they had a weird texture that I didn't care for. I think if I ever find them around for purchase again, I would rather eat them fresh from the core than bake them up again. Either way the pies were more beauty that substance and isn't that sorta fashiony?

14 comments:

Mary said...

What a coincidence! My brother was just telling me about the Arkansas Blacks he found at the farmers' market too. Your painted pies are just gorgeous.

Anne said...

That pie looks great! I love how you painted it. Great job!

Lauren said...

I thought about painting mine too! Yours turned out lovely- awesome job!

Megan said...

That's really pretty and very creative.

I had to laugh, though - that fashion is more beauty than substance, but it's too bad that you didn't care for the apples once they were cooked.

Gabi said...

Wow gorgeous and SO creative! I love your batik pie :)
xo

Tammy said...

wow! that looks amazing!

Carrie said...

That is an awesome idea!! Way to go, your pie is beautiful!

PheMom said...

Oh, I asked everyone to 'bring it' and you didn't disappoint! Your pie painting skills are amazing! Thanks so much for taking on the challenge!

Susie Homemaker said...

Wow! That's fantastic! Love how creative you got...

Natashya said...

I have never seen anything like that! Incredible. You are very creative.

Rebecca said...

This is so cool! I can't believe you painted the crust. That's really awesome and totally out of the box.

Jacque said...

Now, THAT is creative! Very nicely done.

Barbara said...

That's gorgeous! Did you use just plain liquid food coloring from the supermarket, or one of the fancier types? Did you dilute it? I'd love to know -- because you're right, this would be great for holiday pies.

The Food Librarian said...

Amazing!! Amazing!