Sunday, December 7, 2008

No you can't eat the whole loaf by yourself....

I've had to utter these words many times after making this recipe for Banana Bread, mostly to my oldest son. As mentioned in a previous post, it's a tried and true recipe and family & co-worker favorite. I'm kind of surprised I hadn't posted about it before because I make it all the time.

I think everyone's kitchen is frequented by the beautifully ripe turned suddenly funky bunch of bananas. Unless you have a 6 month old around, no one is going to eat those bad boys, so its best to scrounge up the other ingredients and make some banana bread. My excuse today and almost every time I make it... the oven was already on.

Banana Bread ~ Betty Crocker's Cookbook circa 1987
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Butter, softened
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups Banana, mashed *I never measure this I just throw 3 or 4
  • 1/3 cup Orange Juice (or water)
  • 1 2/3 cup A/P Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 cup Nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350˚ and grease the bottom of a loaf pan. Mix sugar and butter until fluffy and stir in eggs one at a time. Mix in the mashed banana and orange juice. Whisk together all the remaining dry ingredients, including the chopped nuts and slowly incorporate into the wet mix until no dry bits remain. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake until golden brown.

You can also top off the loaf with some regular granulated or turbanado sugar before baking to get a nice glisten on the top of loaf. This can take quite awhile to bake and will get quite dark but make sure the tester comes out clean before removing it from the oven.

1 comment:

JD Maybe said...

my favorite....not kidding.