Tuesday, December 9, 2008

TWD: Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies

Being as I was behind with my Tuesdays with Dorie recipes, I did a little super baking on Sunday and made the Linzers and Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies, the this weeks selection chosen by Ulrike of Kuchenlatein. (Not to mention the non-TWD related maple cornmeal biscuits and the banana bread.)

I was quickly running low on regular AP flour with all this baking so I decided to use 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 cake flour. Since I didn't want these to be particularly Christmasy (there's ample time for that later this month) I added in some lemon zest and rolled the dough into a log and popped it into the fridge to chill. I sliced them about 1/4 inch thick & baked til golden around the edges. As they cooled I mixed up the juice from the lemon that I zested with some powdered sugar to make a glaze. I dipped each cooled cookie into the glaze and left them to dry.

These were a little questionable on the day they were baked, they seemed too hard, probably from the whole wheat flour but the next day, they were super yummy. I'm assuming a little of the moisture from the glaze helped to make these the right texture. I'll have to give this recipe a try with regular AP to see how it turns out because it was a simple easy dough to make.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Definitely try these again, they are worth it. My husband would love the lemon glaze - I'll have to try that!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Oops - sorry! Your cookies look great with the lemon frosting!

Tammy said...

the frosting looks lovely. it is interesting - I would have preferred a crisper biscuit

Pamela said...

Oh...lemon glaze! Yummy.

mangomissives said...

I Went with orange zest for mine. I was tempted to do a glaze as well, but my hubster started eating them before I had the chance.