Tuesday, December 9, 2008

TWD: Linzer Sables

I'm a week behind on my Tuesday with Dorie recipes, but not officially because we get a bit of a reprieve this month and get to choose whichever recipe we want to make from the December list (Linzer Sables, Grandma’s All-Occasion Sugar Cookies, Buttery Jam Cookies, Real Butterscotch Pudding & Tall and Creamy Cheesecake) as long as we post them on Tuesday.....it is Tuesday's with Dorie after all. I think this is a great gift from the powers that be, because who knows how nutty this month will turn out hopefully I get a chance to make them all.

So today I made the Linzer Sables, two ways. I shoulda done Linzer Sables, three ways just to be all Top Chef about it but we know they suck at desserts anyway so lets not bring the cookies down to that level. Rude but so true....

The first were rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness and then cut out from the chilled dough, baked off cooled then filled with dark chocolate spread from Cost Plus and dusted liberally with powdered sugar. These were ok with the dark chocolate but a little on the bland side, I think the lack of sugar in both the cookie and the filling did these in.


The others were rolled into balls and filled with apricot preserves like you would do with thumbprint cookies, baked off and dusted with powdered sugar. The jam did the trick this time and lent the bit of sweetness the cookie dough needed. I would probably leave out the little smidge of ground cloves if I made these again, for some reason the clove always puts me off a bit.

This recipe was chosen Dennis over at Living the Life, you can find the full recipe there if your so inclined to make these yourself.

1 comment:

mangomissives said...

lol. so true about Top Chef. I love that show.. but more often than not they suck big time with the sweet stuff.