Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bake Along: Mini Brownish & Ivory Cookies

Well hell I'm starting to feel like I'm being set up! This was the second recipe from our Martha Stewart's Cookies bake along that looks nothing like they are supposed to.

It all went downhill for me when I got to the part of the recipe that said "Roll tablespoons of dough into rounds..." not because I lack the skittles (as my boys would say) to portion out tablespoons of dough or even to make them rounds... but when you are faced with super sticky soft dough the task is just down right impossible. (This was all sounding rather familiar.)

My trusty scoop was brought to task and I scooped out about 1/2 the batter into little rounds and baked them off until golden around the edges. Lovely, but boring little cookies stared back at me mockingly... and even though I knew the b&w icing was on the horizon I couldn't help but mess with perfection by mixing in chopped chocolate, walnuts, sugar & cinnamon left over from some Rugelach. A tasty cakey yummy cookie was the result of my need to mess with things and I would do it again cuz they was good good good.

I did manage to hastily finish the cookies I was supposed to be making. No nice crisp side by side black & white cookies resulted, but they do taste really good but they mess with my senses, they look like chocolate goodness but taste lemony...weird.

I can't wait to see how everyone else fared... undoubtedly better than me I'm sure...such is life.

Update: Gorgeous cookies abound with the other bake alongers....Megan's from My Baking Adventures came out picture perfect. Natalie's from What's for Supper? came out beautiful too, and I totally agree on the fussy icing. Pamela's from Cookies with Boys is seriously cookied out but trudged through and had some fantastic results.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Um, I don't see a problem anywhere here. If anything, you are super creative for throwing some mighty tasty things into what is a very boring dough.

I would consider this a resounding success! In fact, pass one of those speckled ones my way....

Jen H said...

I love Black & White cookies and tried this recipe over the holidays:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mini-Black-and-White-Cookies-233293

They were great, but the dough is pretty sticky and does take more work than I expected to look perfect. But the final cookie was the most authentic Black & White I've had outside of New York.

I think yours look fabulous though especially the ones you got creative with!

What's for Supper? said...

Yeah....these were good. I love how they tasted like little cakes. I bet they were good with all the stuff you put in them too.

Pamela said...

I agree with Megan. Those cookies look fab to me! I'm glad you guys chose this recipe and that I saw it in time. There's always room for more cookies, in my opinion! Can't wait to see what you guys chose to bake next! By the way, nice job with the add ins!