Saturday, January 17, 2009

Buttermilk & Banana Coffee Cake

In the interest of frugality I've been trying to use up the remaining buttermilk from the savory corn muffins we made last week. I've made three other dishes so far, some fantastic buttermilk sour cream pancakes, the bake along mini black & white cookies and now some super yummy coffee cake for breakfast this morning.

I adapted the recipe from one I found in The Bon Appetite Cookbook.

Preheat your oven to 350 and prep a 13x9x2 inch pan by spraying with veg. oil or butter.
  • 2 c AP Flour
  • 1 c Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 c Granulated Sugar
  • 1/2 c Room Temp. Butter (1 Stick)
Using an electric mixer combine all the ingredients above until you get a crumbly texture. Remove 1/2 a cup of this mix and combine with 1 cup chopped nuts (optional) and set aside for to use later.
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 c Buttermilk
  • 1 e Whole Egg
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 e Banana- peeled & mashed
Add the ingredients above to the remaining crumbled mixture until well combined. Pour into your prepared baking dish and sprinkle with topping and about 1/8 c of turbanado sugar for an extra crunch. Bake until golden brown and the center springs back when pressed. Cool, cut & serve.

This was pretty tasty, there's a whole pan full in my kitchen just calling my name...... must resist!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Dang it - I just used the last of the buttermilk for waffles.

Well, I'll just have to get more!

Sophie said...

That looks like a really hearty coffee cake, delicious texture and flavor!