Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TWD: Surprise! No Berries Cake

This month's Tuesday's with Dorie choices are chock full of things me and my honey don't care for. I don't think we are particularly picky people..... though one of my (many) nicknames as a kid was Picky Nicky and since my honey's name is Nick too maybe he's a Picky Nicky in disguise?

Anyhoo, this weeks recipe was chosen by Mare from Meet Me in the Kitchen. It was supposed to be full of fresh berries but my honey doesn't like berries because of the seeds... not even strawberries. I know what a weirdo! Fresh strawberries would have been awesome! I made mine with cherries that were macerated in kirsch and little sugar and used the accumulated juice to make the syrup that I brushed on the cooled cake. I doubled up on the filling and used it to cover the whole thing and I'm so glad I did because the filling is fricken' fantastic, I wanted to eat the whole bowl!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Nice job. The cherries were a good sub and doubling the filling was a most excellent idea!

karen said...

cherries sound really good for this cake. i used blackberries and we loved it.

Barbara said...

Ooh, cherries sound wonderful! What a great idea! Looks great, too!

leanne said...

I agree that the filling was wonderful. However, my cake fell.

Fit Chick said...

Looks good! I agree, the filling was the only part I liked.

Megan said...

Are you kidding? You're both Nicky's? What were the chances of that happening - must make life very interesting!!

Cherries were an awesome choice, I just saw fresh cherries in Costco and had to restrain myself from buying the container - otherwise I'd eat the whole thing!

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

You did a fantastic job! Cherries sound wonderful! And I imagine the kirsch didn't hurt either!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Cherries sound like a delicious twist on this cake! I really liked the filling too!