Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No TWD....

.....I give you boring red purse cake instead. (aka the bowling bag)

So a friend at work, the one that ordered the Minivan cake for her MIL wanted a cake to celebrate her sisters 30th b-day. She just asked for a plain ol' chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream because she didn't get but a little slice of the minivan cake.

Since I had never tried my hand at a purse cake I asked if it was OK if I made one for her sister. She said sure and out came this boring ass cake, it looks so unfinished and needed something more but I wasn't feeling it that day. It's certainly not going in my list of favorites that's for sure because I think it looks like a bowling bag...all it needs is some gum paste bowling shoes or a bowling pin right by it. Oh well the cake inside got rave reviews and her sister loved it so it's all good. <--- a close second to "the whole nine-yards" this is worst saying ever sorry!

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks great! The TWD cake was really good, so you should try it some time!

onlinepastrychef said...

Sometimes when you're not feelin' it, you're just not feelin' it, and there's nothing you can do about it. I like the detailing on the straps quite a lot:)

Rebecca said...

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes the finishing just doesn't come together.

I'm thinking if you'd had more time, maybe a logo piece / monogram / or some medium-sized decorative element on the facing side of the purse might have worked. Maybe even the "Happy Birthday" made to look like a purse logo.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Helps me with my own cakes. ;)

suz said...

Even though it wasn't how you wanted it to be, it is still VERY impressive to the non-cakemakers of the world. And now, you have a great bowling scenario for Dad or Grandpa bashes :)

Nothing I make looks that pretty hehe.

TeaLady said...

I thought that was a purse. Wow!!!

Aunt Becky said...

You're my hero. I'm dying to learn how to make cool cakes. Some day, my friend, some day I will learn. Perhaps with your help.