Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake

I was making vanilla butter cake for a customer and ended up with way too much batter for the pans I was filling.

I quickly melted some brown sugar in pineapple juice with a little shot of coconut rum and made a pineapple upside down cake. I was only using a 7 inch pan so I cut the pineapples in 1/2 and layered the corner of each one on top of the other around the edge of the pan which gave the top bumpy terrain that I really liked.


Update: This is the recipe I used for the cake above. I mixed up 1 1/2 times the recipe below and ended up with a 2x 8 inch (3 inch sided) rounds that torted into 5 layers and used for this cake. And the 7 inch (3 inch sided) cake here. So if I'd have to guess, you could 1/2 the recipe below and get about the same sort of thing going on....

Vanilla Butter Cake
  • 12 oz Unsalted Butter (room temp)
  • 13 oz Granulated Sugar
  • 2/3 tsp (.12 oz) Salt
  • 7.5 oz Whole Eggs (room temp)
  • 15 oz Cake Flour (sifted)
  • 3 3/4 tsp (.62 oz) Baking Powder (sifted into flour)
  • 15 oz Whole Milk
  • 1/4 tsp (.25 oz) Vanilla Extract or Paste (mix into the milk)

Cream together butter, sugar & salt until light and fluffy. Add in eggs about 1 at a time mixing between each addition. Alternate adding flour/baking powder with milk/vanilla until everything is well combined.

Bake at 350 in a pan that has been lined with parchment on the bottom and sprayed with veg. oil. The top will get a little golden brown and a tester should come out clean when done.

Because the cake is fairly dense it doesn't spring back as much as other cakes would when its done so a tester is the best for testing doneness. It's best at room temperature and will really become pretty solid in the fridge because of all the butter.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oooh pineapple upside down cake! Love that bumpy terrain - and where's the recipe for the butter cake? Hmmmmmm?

suz said...

I second that! I would love to see that recipe so I can do that too. Yum!