Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TWD: French Yogurt Cake

Of course since it's St Patrick's Day today I had to throw a little green on the Tuesday with Dorie recipe chosen by Lilianna over at My Cookbook Addiction. She picked a great recipe, French Yogurt Cake. I made mine into cupcakes that I scooped out and filled with macerated strawberries & topped with a meringue butter cream.

This is probably blasphemy but I think the butter cream ruined things :( I never thought I would ever utter those words but there it is.... It was too sweet and didn't balance well with the sweet cake. I would have been better off with some Chantilly cream to go with the strawberries. I ate the left over pieces I plucked out of the top of the cakes with the left over strawberries and it was delish!

Ah well sometimes you futz with things a little too much eh. My honey didn't seem to mind as he just scarfed down two of them as I was writing this. With no strawberries, cuz he's weird like that.

Side note: My honey is watching a little 24 on the ol' Tivo. I hear the breaking news, that Barack Obama will be sworn in as President... hahaha... I guess he hasn't watched this show in awhile.

15 comments:

Teanna said...

I applaud your buttercream idea because it is so festive!!! I'm sorry you didn't like it on the cupcake though! The chantilly cream sounds like it would be perfect with these!

Megan said...

Sometimes you can go over the top, right?

My husband Tivo's 24 as well, and he'll watch all the missed episodes for hours on end.

chocolatechic said...

oooOOoooo chantilly cream.

What a great idea.


Sorry the buttercream didn't work so well.

leanne said...

Cupcakes look very festive and cute. You usually can never go wrong with buttercream. But chantilly cream sounds good.

Amy said...

What a great idea! They look great!


-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Leslie said...

I'm with you on thinking buttercream can only elevate cake! At least you enjoyed the scraps (I love scraps...the baker's secret snack!)

Pamela said...

They sure look good! I love the sprinkles, too.

Natashya said...

I love the sound of those berries in the middle! I am a berry lovin gal at heart - perfect with the lemon. And I agree, chantilly would have given you the delicate flavour you were looking for to go with it.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cupcakes look great and the strawberry filling sounds delicious! Too bad the buttercream didn't work out.

TeaLady said...

Cute cup cakes. I would love to see a pic of one of those cut in half for the strawberries inside. Very creative. Too bad the buttercream didn't work. Maybe with lemon oil???

jaysfavoritefoods said...

The cupcakes look fabulous!!! (even if the buttercream wasn't a hit!)

Jessica said...

I'm sorry that the buttercream didn't work out the way that you wanted to with this cake but gosh, they're so cute for St. Patrick's Day!

PheMom said...

Very pretty and fun idea! I love your version!

Annette said...

Your cupcakes are adorable! And adding the strawberries inside is an amazing idea. I really like this cake.

Engineer Baker said...

I agree - Chantilly cream would work really well with the lightness of the cake. But filling it with strawberries? Yeah, keep that one in there :)