Tuesday, April 28, 2009

TWD: Chocolate Cream Tart

Woot! Finally cool enough to bake! The temperature went from toasty 98+ degrees to a wee 60 degrees overnight. I guess my cool weather dance paid off.

This is the last time I will bake in our old house because everything is packed up besides some basics. A few bowls, a saucepan and a cast iron skillet. The skillet I took as suggestion from Chef over at Pastry Methods & Techniques who's hitching a ride on a moving truck of her own. Even our dishes are boxed up so this photo was taken on a loverly paper plate (as if you couldn't tell). I suppose we really don't need all the gadgets and gizmos we think we do to get the job done. Afterall years ago when chefs were whipping up the first french meringue buttercream I doubt they had a kitchenaid handy.

One modern convenience I did need was the internet, because my cookbooks were packed away weeks ago, I had to go a Googlin' for the recipe online. Hopefully this was the right Tuesday's with Dorie recipe for Chocolate Cream Tart chosen by Kim at Scrumptious Photography. Her blog name does not tell a lie, her photos make you want to reach right through the screen and run away with the plates. Since I don't have pans I decided to use up some puff pastry and make some long rectangle shaped tart shells to fill. Worked out pretty spiffy because I believe the chocolate shells would have been too much chocolate for me (What!? Did I just say that!). No matter what it was a great way to say au revoir to the tiny kitchen from hell.

11 comments:

Teanna said...

Good luck on your move and Congrats on your cooler weather dance! The tart looks great!

Kara said...

I'm impressed that you did this in a packed up kitchen! Well done you. :)

Pamela said...

Our little heat wave it supposed to break tonight! Yeah! The tart looks really yummy, nice idea to use up the puffed pastry. Have a safe and easy move!

TeaLady said...

Looks just right to me. Good luck with your move. I will have to try the puff pastry route. Sounds good.

Jamie said...

Wow that is some intense heat!!! Your tart looks great!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Way to be creative, good luck with the move.

Kayte said...

Moving...oh, my word, you are moving and still able to bake this week? Hats off to you...and your entry looks lovely.

Megan said...

AHHH! Too much chocolate? You must be feeling ill from the heat.

Good luck with the move - I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Juliana said...

Your chocolate tart looks very delicious!

Tracey said...

Good luck with your move! I'm really impressed that you baked even with your kitchen packed up.

Juliana said...

Moving? I know what you are going through...we are doing the same...so I am very impressed with your dedication...the tart looks great and I am sure that it taste the same.