Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cherub Tomatoes

I'm not a huge tomato fan. When I was a kid you couldn't get me near those mealy lumps of seedy watery flesh... yuck. And of course I would get smartarse comments about my love of all things ketchup as if they are exactly the same thing..... when we all know they are not. As I got older I came to appreciate tomatoes but I am very picky about the type the reason and the season. I will yank bad tomato off my burger so fast it will make your bun spin.

Me and my honey recently discovered Cherub Tomatoes at the grocery store. I may be late to the game about these because we don't usually go to the normal grocery store. (We're Trader Joe junkies because the regular store just holds to much fascination for us and we end up buying things that are not financially sound or particularly good for us.)

If you see these little gems in your store pick up a container... trust me if you like tomatoes even a little you will fall in love with these. A perfect blend of sweet tart tomato flavor that goes with everything.

My favorite combo by far is sliced on sourdough with munster cheese a little s&p in a crusty grilled cheese. Oh and their website it adorable so if you have kids you might want to take a peek. The cute games may convince them to try these little guys and not become a tomato hater like I was when I was a kid.
Cherry Tomato on Foodista

4 comments:

Megan said...

What cute little tomatoes - I have always preferred the sweet cherry tomatoes over the mealy, tasteless larger variety.

I've seen the cherubs in the store, now I'll have to try some!

Juliana said...

I haven't seen these tomatoes yet...they are so cute...

FoodTravelDiva said...

I had some of these last night and you're right they're good. I love that they are bite sized, no need to slice and dice for salads. If you don't mind I'd love to direct Foodista readers to your blog. Just add your choice of widget to this post and you're all set!

Marta said...

I'm not a fan of watery tomatoes, but a good, dense, fresh, sun-ripened tomato is like candy to me! Thanks for pointing out this variety, I'll keep my eye for them!