Saturday, June 6, 2009

YWP: Lemon Cooler Pie

Childhood Memory Pie is the theme this month over at You Want Pies with That? Chosen by Ellen from Kittymama in the Kitchen.

So far this has been the easiest idea to date. No hyming and hawing over anything at all. No sign of my typical spastic undecided mind creeping in. Hmmm... strange maybe now that I'm gonna be 35 this is a sign of me being less wishy washy? I won't hold my breath tho.

I don't know why exactly Lemon Coolers popped into my head I can't even remember if I had them more than once to be honest. Just a fleeting memory of melty cool powdered sugar covered cookies, standing with barefeetsies in a dewy deep grass of our lawn. One of those ghosty chalkboard memories where you can't quite grasp your age... or who was with you at the time. I just remember it was good, I was a kid, and I was happy.

Lemon Cooler Pie
Vamped from Lemon Cooler Cookie recipe found on www.recipezaar.com.

Crust
2 oz. Unsalted Butter~ Softened
1/2 c. Powdered Sugar
1 ea. Whole Egg
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Unsweetened Lemonade Mix
Zest of 1/2 Lemon
1 1/2 c. A/P Flour

Cream together sugar & butter. Add in salt, lemonade mix, egg and zest, mix to combine. Mix in flour and press the crumbly mixture into a pie pan. This should cover the sides and bottom in a good even layer. Put it into the fridge to chill and preheat oven to 350. When the oven is ready blind bake your crust until golden brown around the edges. Remove the lining & weights to finish cooking the crust until done. Set aside to cool.

Filling
2 ea. Large Lemons
2 ea. Egg Yolks
2 ea. Whole Eggs
150 g. Sugar
100 g. Butter

Zest & juice the lemons and whisk together in a medium sauce pan with remaining ingredients. Whisk over low heat until thickened and strain through a very fine mesh strainer. Adjust lemony tartness to your liking by adding more lemon or sugar. Reserve 1/2 cup of filling and pour the rest into the pre-baked crust. Chill for about an hour.

Topping
6 oz. Heavy cream
1 oz. Powdered Sugar
1/2 cup reserved filling

Whip together heavy cream and sugar to medium peaks and fold in reserved filling. Spread over bottom layer and chill overnight.

Dusting

1 oz. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp
Unsweetened Lemonade Mix

Slice pie and dust right before serving.


7 comments:

Megan said...

Yowza! That is definitely lemony fresh! I like it, though, and so would my husband.

Kate said...

This looks like a perfect pie for summer - cold and refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

Jen H said...

This looks so yummy and refreshing. Great job!

suz said...

Yes please! Melt in your mouth amazing. I wish I could have some :)

LaDue & Crew said...

Looks Fab! I'm loving the idea of lemonade in the crust!

Jenn said...

It tastes as good as it looks =)

kittymama said...

Oh that looks so yummy! I could dive right into a piece right now! Thanks for participating in "my" month even though I couldn't get my act together!