Wednesday, July 1, 2009

PPPR: Day 1

So as you may well know, I've joined up with some other bloggers in a quest for frugality. Spurred on by Susan @ She's Becoming DoughMessTic, the challenge is to spend only a set amount on food for our families, utilizing what we have currently in our pantry/fridge/freezer. I picked the amount of $150 for 4 weeks and you can see my starting ingredients here. This will now be known as the Penny Pinching Pantry Raid or PPPR for short mostly cuz it's funny :P
Oh and I have to tell you my honey said "You want me to STARVE!" when I told him the Penny Pinching news.... hilarious.

On my drive home I began scheming... ala Chopped. A few ingredients, what should I make? How ever much I hate Tim Allen's fake game show host voice (which sucks cuz I really like him!) I love that show mostly because I spend my time yelling at the tv the whole time "Why didn't they do this or that.... idiots!"

The players~ canned chicken, peas, 1 hash browns (stay with me) curry powder, egg, flour & cornmeal. Put them all together and you get... Indian Chicken Nuggets!


These were pretty darn good! I also mixed up a little Lingonberry jam, curry powder and sweet chili sauce to make sort of a chutney. Served it with steamed rice and a bit of naan.

For desert I made a little banana fritter with flour, oats, egg, milk, baking powder, salt & chopped super ripe banana. These are really tasty, they will be good for breakfast tomorrow too toasted maybe... yummy...I better go hide some away!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Very creative!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Tracy said...

Yum! That banana fritter looks amazing! :-)

doughmesstic said...

That's great! I thought of Chopped, too - kind of makes it more like a game, doesn't it!