Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWD: Vanilla Ice Cream

This weeks Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was chosen by Lynne from Cafe Lynnylu. The recipe may have been for Vanilla Ice Cream but the theme was more like "What can YOU add to YOUR Vanilla Ice Cream?"

There was a plethora of mix-ins and other concoctions from bakers all over the blog roll, but my favorite, most creative was Caitlin at the Engineer Baker that put Riesling in her ice cream! Wine and Ice cream... how can you beat that! However creative they all were my culinary point of view was best expressed by Megan over at My Baking Adventures when she said "for me-vanilla is merely the vehicle in which to get the hot fudge sauce into my mouth." Couldn't have said it better myself Megan.

Surprisingly and much to my honey's dismay I didn't add any chocolate to mine. Instead I made the Vanilla bean Cinnamon version and mixed in a swirl (ok not so swirly heck you can barely see it!) of Pink Lady Apples sauteed in brown sugar and Calvados. It was strangely dry... dry ice cream weird I know but even at its melty state in the bowl it tasted dry and not creamy at all :(

7 comments:

margot said...

Your ice cream looks great with the little heart on top! Dry ice cream? Cinnamon and apples sound like such a great combination, though. I made the plain vanilla and it's so much fun seeing the other variations; I definitely want to try the cinnamon.

Jenn said...

I think the Cinnamon & Apples sounds WAY better than the chocolate...yummy...

And I agree with Margot....what cute little hearts!!!

Engineer Baker said...

Cinnamon and apples and Calvados - Oh My! That sounds absolutely mouthwatering! Glad you liked my take on it as well :)

Clivia said...

Is dry the feel of cinnamon on the tongue? Apples and cinnamon ice cream sounds divine. I'd try it.

Megan said...

DRY?? Dry + ice cream = not good.

But I'm glad you liked my analogy!

Jacque said...

Oh, I am drooling over your ice cream (and kicking myself for not thinking of it).

Sounds perfect!

Melissa said...

I thought the cinnamon version sounded really good. Too bad it wasn't very creamy, you'll have to try it again with a different mix-in.