Tuesday, August 18, 2009

TWD: Apple Sauce Spice Bars

Holy smokes were these good! I had to try really hard not to eat them all myself and for something chocolate free that's saying a lot.

I did of course tweak the recipe a smidge to suite what I had around. No apple sauce, even if I did happen to have it in the house, I would have never bought unsweetened (ick). So I cut up two big Pink Lady apples and cooked them until tender, I scooped out 1/2 and pureed it with a stick blender to make up the 1/2 cup of unsweetened sauce reserving the remainder to mix in. For the spice I used the cinnamon and 1/8 tsp cardamom and a few grinds of nutmeg because I didn't have any allspice. I also subbed in 1/2 cup of oats for a 1/4 cup of the flour, just because I felt like it. I topped it off with a quick glaze of powdered sugar that I poured on right out of the oven.

My honey thought I was baking up french toast for breakfast but was not disappointed when he got his piece and he doesn't even like baked apples. I thought it tasted like apple fritters less the greasy dough-nutty feel and the dough-nutty guilt.

Superb Tuesdays with Dorie choice by Something Sweet by Karen.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I LOVE apple fritters - so maybe I'll use your substitutions and try them again ~

Melissa said...

Glad you liked them, yours look great! I bet the pink lady apples were delish in these!

karen said...

what a great idea for the unsweetened apple sauce! i like your other changes too. we seriously ate a full size batch in one night, we couldn't stay out of them at my house. :)

Liz said...

I agree--these were way too easy to keep eating! I did the same thing you did--cooked some apples and pureed them up. Great minds think alike? Glad you loved them! They look fabulous.

Jacque said...

It's hard to go wrong with apples and spice. Yours look yummy!