Monday, February 1, 2010

Dutch Oven Lovin'

I've been drooling over this Mario Batali Pesto Dutch Oven ever since we got the Pesto Risotto Pot as a wedding gift last year. It was one of those things you put on your registry with your fingers double crossed because it was just gorgeous and poised to be useful in the kitchen! My sister-in-law was good enough to indulge us and we use it all the time. As a matter of fact I will probably make some curry in it tonight. The only thing wrong with it...... is that its fricken HEAVY! Like we bribe each other to put it away kind of heavy. I know that the dutch oven will  be even heavier and may just end up in the back of my cupboard unused. Were only a family of two so this might be overkill for us and a total waste of money. So... if you have a dutch oven of any sort... how often do you use it?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh, you mean the one sitting in my kitchen that I was given as a gift nearly 3 weeks ago? Yep. Still sitting there, UNUSED. So sad.

We've been throwing together food so quick i've not had time to think of what I wanted to make with it!

Susan said...

I actually used mine a couple of nights ago to make Braised Short ribs (recipe posted on my blog). I probably use it every other month or so. Not a lot, but I am always glad I have it when I reach for it.

Jessica said...

Hi. I just found your blog through TWD and I've been reading through your posts -- so much fun.

I actually have a Dutch oven that I love and I use all of the time. I don't have a crock pot, so any time there's a slow cooking recipe, I use my Dutch oven. I use it to make chicken stock, pulled pork, any sort of stew (chicken cacciatore, Boeuf Bourguignon, you get the idea), for soups. I use it all of the time and I love it. It's a total workhorse. I guess it helps that I have a small-ish kitchen and it can't really hide from me. :-) It is really heavy but not so heavy that I can't lift it or move it from the stove to the oven. It's just more of a, ugh, I need to get it out sort of heavy. It's so so so worth it though -- just my two cents!