Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pole Dancer Cake

My Tuesday's with Dorie Tart shells sits empty on my counter because all of the sudden its too hot to bake. We had a little 4.4 tumble the other morning and I think it was California shaking in disgust that its already getting hot.

Eh...well no matter, instead I shall bring you apeek at a cake I made a while back and have just posted on my website... The Pole Dancer Cake. How do you take something that could be conceived as tawdry like pole dancing (stripper cake anyone?) and make it cute and charming? You make it pink of course!


I love how this turned out, even though it wasn't the original concept I think it came out even better. I actually had to tell the customer that I just couldn't do what we originally thought of without it looking clunky and cheesy (cheesy lame not cheesy cheddar). A difficult thing for me to do because I hate to disappoint anyone. The coolest thing on this cake was that the silver bit on the top was a turn table, so the 30 turned 180 degrees and back again so you could see the other side that looked like this ~>

8 comments:

Rebecca [UK] said...

Absolutely beautiful! An inspiring designed; very elegant & tasteful.

Rebecca [UK] said...

Please could you advise me whether you made your own silhoutte template or where you got it from. I'd really like to have a go at making this sort of cake but am not sure about how to do the silhouttes. Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you.

Nichi said...

Hey Rebecca Im glad you like the cake! You can google pole dancer silhouette and find many many versions you can print and use. I got mine on shuttershock.

I think the tricky part is the hair on the versions I used, I would have used something simpler if I had to do it again. The hair was just crazy to try and cut out of fondant.

Rebecca [England, United Kingdom] said...

Thank you so much Nichi. I have found lots of examples including the one you used which I really like. I also found some guidance on how to make a your own silhoutte from a photograph but that may just be a step too far for me!
My 40th isn't until October but if I can get a cake made like yours, I'll send you a photo.

Nichi said...

Oh please do share what you end up making! I'd love to see it.

Rebecca [UK] said...

Hi again Nichi,

I'm really starting to focus on my birthday cake design now and just wondered if you could let me know where you got the small turntable from please. If you could point me in the direction of any suppliers, I'd be really grateful. I've tried to google it but I'm not sure what the right terminology is; it keeps bringing up record players! Thank you.

Nichi said...

Google display turn tables but heeres the site where we got them

http://www.potomacdisplay.com/pd_catalog.cgi?dmt=on&mt=11890&tt=872

Rebecca [UK] said...

Thank you very much once agian. Sadly this company need a $150 order to post internationally however I am going to keep looking for a minature pole. Best Wishes