Monday, July 5, 2010

...little patience, mm yeah, ooh yeah,

Need a little patience, yeah
Just a little patience, yeah
Some more pati... (ence, yeah)
Ok truth be told I've never had enough patience to listen to that Guns N' Roses song in its entirety....so I always thought the title was sadly appropriate.

To make your own Vanilla Extract you'll need:

  • 6 Supple Vanilla Beans 
  • 16 oz Vodka 
  • A whole crapload of patience..... 
                     8 weeks of patience!

I scraped the vanilla beans, cut them up and tossed everything in a big mason jar. Closed it up tight and put it in the cupboard, with instructions for the honey to shake it like a polaroid picture if he happened to notice it sitting there. 8 or 9 weeks later (I lost count and interest) the hubbie's patience ran out and he claimed the experiment triumphant as he had opened the jar and spiked his morning coffee with a little of the extract. 

Waiting for anything has never been my strong suite. That's why I'm not a big fan of making bread... to much waiting, too much patience. But as with bread making our own vanilla has rewarded us with something pretty fantastic. Give it a try if you have allot of Vanilla Beans hanging around, for some reason I do... well that's because I'm kind of too stingy to use them.

3 comments:

Chef Dennis said...

and here I thought we were going to do vanilla shots!!!!
Its like when I made lemoncello, you wait and wait and wait....sigh

Eliana said...

I've been trying to see if I have the patience to make homemade vanilla extract. You made it sound so good but 8 weeks in a long time! hehe

Megan said...

I made vanilla extract last year - it was so good, I'm hesitant to use it. But that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?