Tuesday, July 20, 2010

TWD: Lots-of-Ways Peach Cake

Well I didn't have any bananas which is unusual for my house. I did however have a can of peaches, for what... I don't know. We don't eat canned peaches, or fresh peaches for that matter. It might have been for a long past TWD recipe that never came to fruition.

Heh... so sub in peaches for bananas and 1/2 the recipe for the ol' toaster oven (man that thing is getting major mileage lately) and you've got something that looks like this.


Not to shabby if I do say so myself! It is pretty tasty, I could have used a few more spices, like cardamom or cinnamon and a little more salt to give it a bit more kick.

You can get the real recipe from our Tuesdays w/Dorie host of the week Kimberly over at Only Creative Opportunities or you can follow my recipe tweak below.

Peachy Coconut Cake
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan~Baking from My Home to Yours (Page 204 & 205)

Pour out syrup from a 15oz can of peaches and puree, I left it a little chunky. If you have a stick blender you can do this right in the can.

Preheat your toaster oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8 inch cake pan, dust with flour and tap to remove excess.



For the cakey bit:
  • 1 1/3 c AP Flour
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • Pinch of Nutmeg
  • 3 oz. Unsalted Butter @ room temperature
  • 1/4 c Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 c Granulated Sugar
  • 1 e Whole Egg
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3/4 c Peach Puree
  • 1/4 c Coconut
Sift together dry ingredients. Cream together sugars and butter until fluffy, then add in egg, vanilla and peach puree. Mix in dry ingredients and stir in coconut. Pour into the prepared baking pan. You can skip to the baking portion of the program here, or use the leftover puree to make the topping.

For the topping:
  • 1/4 c Peach Puree
  • 2 tbsp Sugar
  • 1/4 c Sliced Almonds
Mix together puree and sugar, swirl on the top of the cake and top with sliced almonds.

Bake at 325 for 30-45 minutes or until a tester comes out with a bit of crumb.  You can tent this with aluminum foil if the top starts to get to brown.

8 comments:

Jaime said...

way to make do with what you had on hand! the peach version looks mouth watering good :)

Eliana said...

Good call on the peaches. This looks super delish.

Meg said...

Love the peaches idea...and using the stick blender in the can!! Good looking cake!

Kimberly Johnson said...

My gosh, that cake looks delicious! Great idea to use peaches. Thanks for baking with me this week!

spike. said...

I didn't even think about using a different fruit- now there are so many possibilities filling my head!

Judy said...

Way to go with the peaches. This truly is a "lots of ways" cake.

margot said...

How funny, of the "lots-of-ways" to make this cake, this is the first one I've seen with a different fruit. Looks yummy!

mike said...

What an absolutely fantastic variation - I'd never have thought. It looks wonderful - especially with the coconut - love that combination. Very nice looking cake!