Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TWD: Peanut Butter Crisscrosses~Gluten Free Style!

I'm no glutenfreegirl by any means but I happened to pick up some Peanut Flour at Trader Joe's just because I found it intriguing. With no plans for what I would do with such an odd item in my kitchen it was a fluke to run out of regular all purpose flour when faced with the prospect of having to make some Peanut Butter cookies. I swapped the AP for Peanut and voila Super Peanut Butter Crisscrosses!  These were awesome with coffee tho a little dryer than the original might be I totally loved them.

You can find the real recipe over @ Jasmine Cuisine below is a 1/2 recipe of my rendition.


Gluten Free~ 
Super Peanut Butter Crisscrosses

  • 1 1/4 c. Peanut Flour
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Salt
  • 4 oz. Salted Butter 
  • 4 oz. Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 c. Granulated Sugar
  • 1 ea. Whole Egg


A bit of extra granulated sugar to roll your cookies in.

Preheat oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with parchment.

Cream together butter, peanut butter & sugars until fluffy. Mix in egg until well combined. Whisk dry ingredients well (the peanut flour is pretty clumpy so this may take a bit of doing, if you not lazy like me, sending everything thru a sieve might be better) add to other ingredients and mix to combine. This mixture comes out really really dry but can be easily scooped (#40 makes 20 cookies) and rolled in sugar. Place them on a parchment lined baking pan and smoosh with a fork in a crisscross pattern. Bake until bottoms are golden brown, cool and enjoy.

13 comments:

cindy said...

Your cookies are beautiful!

Tia said...

i admire you making them g-free.
My version of these is PB and White Chocolate thumprints. Great job this week!

Jennifer said...

Peanut flour...I had no idea that even existed!!!!

Your cookies look amazing!!!

jillbert said...

They look fabulous! I've never heard of peanut flour - what a great idea for these cookies.

Jules Someone said...

I totally have peanut flour and I forgot to use it!!! Now I really have to make these again! Any hints on how to make these moister?

Rachel said...

oooh interesting! now i want to try peanut flour!

megan said...

Cool idea - and I'm really wishing I had made these - imagine how good they would be with a chocolate filling......

Nichi said...

Jules, I think maybe cutting down on the amount of flour. Im going to make them again and try it with less and I will let you all know.

Eliana said...

I didn't even know there was such a thing as peanut flour. I will deifnitely check out as I am going to TJ tonight for groceries because your cookies look awesome.

Missy said...

Goal for this weekend...TO MAKE Peanut Butter cookie! Thanks for the Idea

Missy
http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

margot said...

Your cookies look great! I have been resisting tossing that flour in my cart every time I go to Trader Joe's. I might have to do it next time.

Liz said...

Too funny! I used some peanut flour in mine as well. I was a scaredy cat and only substituted 1/5 the amount of regular flour, but I think halfsies would be a good compromise--good peanut flavor without losing the soft texture.

Jeannette said...

Wow, how intuitive of you! That sounds like an ultra-peanutty treat!! And the dryer texture of these cookies helped keep your criss-crosses in perfect condition! They look absolutely beautiful!