Friday, October 15, 2010

FFwD: Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

I finally got my book around my french table from Amazon! Pretty funny that the first recipe I get to make for the new group French Fridays with Dorie is Vietnamese...

Anyhoo... I actually love making soup, I whip up soup all the time because I can somehow make it out of pretty much anything we have around and we eat like kings peasants for a few days because there's always some leftover.

I think the most exhaustive thing about this soup is the ingredients, I couldn't find coriander seeds, white pepper or ginger. Well I found ginger but it looked like a science experiment so I just left it in the store. Fresh and Easy wasn't living up the 'fresh' part today. Other than that its a breeze to make. It did smell a little funky I must admit, probably the fish sauce or something but it did taste good in the end ;) I think I would leave the fishes out of it next time.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Your soup looks gorgeous in that bowl with the chopsticks! I wasn't too sure about fish sauce the first time I used it, but now turn to it when a dish just needs that little something. And I don't like fishy things! Glad your book arrived!
:)

Elaine said...

Beautiful photo! I agree - I probably will leave the fish sauce out next time.

chayacomfycook said...

Beautiful presentation for a delicious soup. We loved it.

Judy said...

I cut way back on the fish sauce since it isn't a favorite flavor. If there is a Mexican spice section in your grocery, you might find the whole coriander seed there.

Babette said...

Lovely. Too bad ingredient list was so hard for you to find. I loved the soup just the way it was --I lie. I added curry paste bec. we love that variation in our house.