Tuesday, October 5, 2010

TWD: Apple Bundt Cake

I turned on the oven and started to make this recipe when I got to the part about the apple butter... er what?! So with the oven preheating (don't worry my honey was home paying little attention to anything but his computer games, I'm sure he would have smelled a fire.... maybe) I ran to two stores in search of Apple Butter with no luck. But what do they say "necessity is the mother of invention!" or some shit like that, so instead of trekking to yet another store I decided to head home and make due with what I had on hand. And it was fricken' fantastic my friends!

I'm going to include the recipe tweaks and technique below but you can go visit Lynne at Honey Muffin and I'm sure she will fix you right up with the recipe as it should be.

Apple Bundt Cake


Preheat your oven to 350. Prepare a bundt pan by spraying with oil and dusting with flour. If you have a nonstick pan do this anyway because if your bundt pan is an evil tease like mine, it does not like giving up the goods when the baking is done.

For the filling:
3 Medium Granny Smith Apples
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Cardamom
1/4 tsp Grated Nutmeg
1 tbsp of Calvados

Peel, core and grate the apples. Sauté in a medium skillet with the spices, adding in the Calvados last. Let mixture cool while you mix up the batter below.

Cakey bits:
6 oz Unsalted Butter
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar

2 cups AP Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda

2 Whole Eggs
8 oz Sour Cream

Cream together sugars & butter until fluffy. Whisk together dry ingredients in one bowl. Then whisk together sour cream and eggs in another bowl. Alternately add the dry and the wet into the butter/sugar concoction. Once this is well combined add in the cooled apple mix and stir in a cup of chopped nuts if you'd like. Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake until its done. Cool slightly and turn out onto a rack.... weep tears of joy when your cake slips easily from the evil bundt pan of doom because you were prepared!

Now when everything is cooled this is the most important part....don't eat it yet. Mix about 3 tbsp of powdered sugar with a little warm water and vanilla this should be the consistency of like pancake syrup. Brush this onto the surface of the bundt then take more powdered sugar and dust the surface, let the sugar dissolve into the wet surface and dust it again until it stops dissolving I did this like 6 times or so. Let it sit for about 30 minutes or as long as you can stand it to dry. This made the surface like glazed donuts so totally worth every effort! Slice that bad boy up and enjoy.

5 comments:

Eliana said...

Well it certainly looks delicious! I love it.

megan said...

Oh I found apple butter all right - but I wasn't spending $6 on it.

I wish I had thought to make my own.

Clivia said...

I can imagine how good this cake would be with sour cream. I didn't have apple butter either and went with bananas.

Jessica said...

Your little tweaks sound like they made a perfectly lovely cake. It's gorgeous, too!

Pamela said...

Looks wonderful! Seems like it all worked out with some delicious results.