Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Tart

I usually have a great time tweeking our TWD recipes because they usually come out really really tasty. Dorie's recipes are cool like that, they tend to be so good in the first place that any thing I manage to do to it won't muck it up to badly. This week, I wasn't so lucky....

I opted for a ginger snap crust pressed into a tart pan. How could that be bad right? The mahogany filling with a crisp cookie crust was mouthwatering. But sadly filling just gets into a total brawl with the crust, creating two great flavors that become horribly overwhelming together. Sad but true. I will have to try this again with a regular crust because it has the makings of something really fantastic.

You can get the full recipe from our host this week Janell from Mortensen Family Memoirs.

8 comments:

Judy said...

I would have thought the ginger crust would be fine, but you just never know about flavor combinations. Your pie does look delicious, though.

megan said...

I got all excited about a gingersnap crust - until I got to the part about it not working out. Bummer!

Jules Someone said...

I had a little ginger in mine, as well. Not a favorite this week. Ah well.

Tia said...

dark n delicious looking :)

cindy said...

I made Dories Good for Everything Crust. I'm sold on it.
Sorry your pie didn't work. Have a great day!

Mary said...

You're right--it does sound really good in theory. It certainly looks good, but too bad the filling and crust couldn't play nicely together.
:)

The Mortensens said...

I'm sorry this pie didn't work out for you. It's a tricky one even without any tweeking.

Thanks for baking along with me this week though.

Clivia said...

I like the idea of a ginger sanp crust but maybe with the rum it would be too much.
Lovely photos!