Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TWD: Fold-over Apple Torte

I was pretty convinced that this was all about the crust. I mean why else would you leave the crust just laying on the top of the torte unless it was just so you could have more crust to eat? Or because your just lazy... and since I have to raise my hand on both occasions I was happy to oblige. I swapped the pears for apples and since I heard lots of TWDers mention they would have liked more innards (of custard that is) I nixed the nuts and the whatever else was supposed to go in there.

The apples rose to the top and reminded me a little of corn when this was about 3/4 done. And anyone who knows me, knows I don't like surprise unnecessary cornage.... so I was a little grossed out by the whole thing until it was finished. Because when it was finished it was golden and yummy looking. I let it chill out in the fridge until today and it was perfect. The custardy part is not really like giggly custard, its got some heft to it, some yummy heft. I'm glad I got rid of all the extra stuff, because this is simplified and perfect.

You can of course get the full recipe from our hostess this week by clicking here.

6 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Love your torte - the bigger custard to fruit ratio makes it irresistable! Thanks for baking along.

Tia said...

looks tasty! good job and funny story on the "corn" lol

Clivia said...

However did you get the apples to rise to the top? The torte looks perfect like that.

TeaLady said...

Funny that your custard went to the bottom. Mine was all through the torte mixed with the fruit.

And it was good wasn'tit. Repeater!!

Judy said...

It's interesting that your custard went to the bottom. Looks delicious!

Eliana said...

Hmmm - love the caramelly brown color your tart got on top.