Monday, November 1, 2010

TWD: Peanuttiest Blondies

The hostest with the mostest this week is me! Woo! Hoo!

I really thought that by the time I got around to it, we wouldn't have any recipes to choose from... but here it is and there was plenty to pick from! Hopefully you all appreciate a little fall fruit break and found the time to bake along!

I chose these because they just sound amazing, and it was a reason to buy chunky peanut butter.  I heart chunky peanut butter! Sadly, I live my life in family inflicted chunky peanut butter deprivation. In my parents house, no one else liked it and the mass majority of the peanut butter in our house went to the making of peanut sauce for satay, chunky satay sauce is not good eats! So never a jar would appear unless I slipped some in the cart my mom accidentally bought it. My honey doesn't care for the chunky either...unless you count me... hehe cuz I is chunky.

I have a confession... (besides the whole chunky butt thing) I forgot to add in the baking soda! Yikes! Hmm well I just noticed as I was typing up the recipe. They still came out deliciously yummy, just as I imagined like giant thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies! I will just have to make it again... you know, for the sake of doing things properly.. maybe with toffee bits instead of chocolate next time.


Peanuttiest Blondies

Dorie says...
Made with peanut butter and bolstered with lots of salted peanuts and chocolate these blondies are big, firm, sweet, satisfying and definitely members-in-good-standing of the chewy branch of the brownie family. They're real kid fare, great with milk, malteds, or hot chocolate, and so good with ice cream.
  • 1 C A/P Flour (5 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 C Peanut Butter (5 oz) Crunch or creamy - not natural
  • 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter (2.5 oz)
  • 3/4 C Granulated Sugar (6 oz)
  • 3/4 C Brown Sugar, Packed (6 oz)
  • 2 Large Eggs (4 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 C Chopped Salted Peanuts (5 oz)
  • 6 oz Semi-sweet or Premium Milk Chocolate, coarsely chopped, or 1 C chocolate chips
Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square pan with foil, butter the foil and put the pan on a baking sheet. [I used parchment to line an 8-inch pan instead.]
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Working with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the peanut butter and butter together on medium speed until smooth. Add both sugars and beat for 1-2 minutes until well incorporated into the butter. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each goes in. Beat in vanilla extract. Reduce the mixer to low and add in the dry ingredients,  mixing only until they disappear into the dough; the dough will be thick. Add the peanuts and chocolate and give the mixer a few turns to stir them into he dough. If the chunky ingredients are mixed in after a few seconds, just finish the job with a sturdy spatula-don't over mix the dough. Scrape the dough into the prepared pan.
Bake blondies for 40-50 minutes, or until they turn a deep honey brown and a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool to room temperature.
When its completely cool, carefully lift the blondies our of the  pan using the foil edges as handles, and turn them out onto the rack. Peal away the foil and invert onto a cutting board. Use a long knife to cut into 16 bars, each roughly 2 1/4 inches on a side.

43 comments:

Jess said...

I haven't posted mine yet, but...WOW are these good. I wanted chunky PB too, but got voted down. Nevertheless, these were mostly stashed in my freezer to prevent me from eating them all at once. Thanks for picking such a great, easy recipe!

Clivia said...

Thank you for choosing this wonderful recipe! We loved these.

jillbert said...

Thanks for the great pick! These were really good. Mine weren't as lovely as yours though!

LDH said...

These were a huge hit at our house! Great pick and very sweet place you have here! I have enjoyed perusing several of your posts!

Kindly, ldh

Jules Someone said...

Loved these! What a great recipe! I started my kids on chunky peanut butter early. We don't let the creamy stuff in the house. ;-)

Jessica said...

Your blondies look so amazing! I'm super jealous -- I sort of overbaked mine.

Karen said...

These were fabulous! Thanks for the fun pic!

cindy said...

I'm all about chunky! These were one chunky good treat. Great pick. I love your blog!

margot said...

Your blondies look fantastic! I thought it was a nice break in the fall recipes and so super-easy to make.

Cakelaw said...

LOL - you absolutely have to make them again - you never know what the baking soda might do. Thanks for being our host this week - these were delish!

chocolatechic said...

These were so good.


Such a great pick.

Paula said...

Maybe I should have used chunky PB. You certainly make a good case for them. Thanks for hosting this week.

briarrose said...

Yum! The toffee variation sounds dreamy as well. ;)

Pamela said...

Wonderful pick this week, Nicole! Loved these. Chunky rules!!

Flourchild said...

You are the hostess with the mostest!!..thank you for the great selection..my butt and thighs thank you too..ha ha! Your blondies look fantastic! I love all the chocolate chips!

Valerie said...

This recipe was the perfect break from last month's dough rolling. Thanks!

Your blondies look so perfect and uniform! No one would know that they're missing an ingredient. :-)

Sweet and Savory said...

Is there any room for cake in yours. These blondies are so full of goodness. Yours look fabulous. This is a great choice. We love them. Thanks for hosting.

Di said...

Not a fan of chunky peanut butter, but I definitely love this recipe! Thanks for a great pick this week.

Jennifurla said...

Hi I am your newest follower

Beryl said...

These were delicious and so easy to make. I subbed reeses cups for the chocolate chips and they were awesome. Thanks for the great pick!

Jaime said...

thanks for a great pick! i enjoyed 3 for breakfast this morning LOL

Jeannie said...

So delicious looking! Love all the peanuts and chocolates bits in the blondies:)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Loved these - great pick, Nicole! :) And yours look beautiful! All that chocolate and pb = perfection!!

Jeannette said...

Crushed up Heath bars would be AMAZING in this. Oh I must make these again, sooner than I thought!!

Thank you for the amazing choice!!

Ps. Total chunky pb lover over here ;)

Tia said...

^I did the crushed up heath bar thing. And I went with almonds and almond butter. LOVED them :)

Linda said...

I'm not a big PB person, but after reading through the recipe, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make this. My hubs co-workers were very happy that these were brought to work.

Bridget said...

Even without the baking soda, yours look perfect! And I for one was very grateful for the break from fall desserts - we hadn't had a chocolately dessert in forever!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they look so perfect-- i should "forget" the baking soda next time. they sure were good, so thanks for the pick!

jIll said...

Great pick! I also had the toffee chips in my hand but chickened out at the last minute. Next time!!

Caroline said...

Yours look amazing! Thanks for hosting.

Amber Marie said...

Thanks for an awesome pick! And for a very funny post :)

Mary said...

Your 'chunky' bars look fabulous! Sorry I couldn't bake along this week, but with all the rave reviews I am thinking I need to make these later in the week.
:)

Rebecca (Indecisive Baker) said...

Oh my goodness! I'm adding these to my to bake list!

Peggy said...

This was a GREAT pick! We really enjoyed them and they were easy to make. Thanks. Yours looks delicious and so chocked full of goodness.

Peggy said...

This was a GREAT pick! We really enjoyed them and they were easy to make. Thanks. Yours looks delicious and so chocked full of goodness.

Mary said...

Yum. Great pick. I love it when the twd recipe is easy and reliable..I will definitely make this one again!

Nickki said...

I absolutely loved this recipe! Thank you for choosing it :-)

Katrina said...

Great pick. Too funny about the chunky. Good to know they still work without baking soda. Yours really do look great!

Megan said...

See, another reason I like you so much - I heart the chunky pb too!

And no one else does.....sigh.....

Sonya said...

Hands down the BEST blondie ever! thanks for posting this fantastic recipe!!!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Stopping over from Sonya's. THANKS for the recipe. I'm making them today!
Happy Thanksgiving! jj

dorie said...

I am sooooooooo far behind on everything, even visiting your blog to see your great (even if they're missing the baking soda : - ) brownies.

I laughed when you said that you live in a peanut butter-conflicted house. I don't know what happened chez me, but we used to all be chunky peanutters and then, all of the sudden, the guys switched over to smooth. Can't figure it out.

While I'm here, I just want to go a little off topic and say that your potato gratin looks luscious.

a happy little life said...

I found you through http://homecookingwithsonya.blogspot.com/
these are just wonderful! My husband had one in his mouth every time I looked at him this week and then asked when I was making them again. Like ummm WOW!
look forward to getting more of your recipes!
Tracie