Sunday, November 14, 2010

Brown Sugar Spice Cake w/Hazelnut Buttercream

I made a few cakes this week to take with me to my last weekend of business class. Because the business class was full of foodies, everyone else had brought in something for us to try and critique. There was some fantastic eats to be had. I'm still craving the pesto a gal brought in. Even though she told me the next week it was made out of cilantro and I hate cilantro... at least I thought I did ;)

I felt I should step up to the plate and get some opinions. After all I was freely giving mine even though I sometimes felt bad about it after wards... I'm sure they all think I'm a jerk. Eh whatever... they won't be the first, or the last. But hopefully they took it as constructive criticism.

Anyhoo... I made this spicy cake up on they fly and I wanted to share the recipe. I think it would be great to take to a party this holiday season.

Brown Sugar Spice Cake

9 oz. Cake Flour
2 tsp. Siagon Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cardamom
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla
4 oz. Whole Milk
4 oz. Vegetable Oil
4 oz. Water
5 oz. Light Brown Sugar
2.5 oz. Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 ea. Whole Egg

Sift or whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. Mix together, oil, milk, water and vanilla and set aside (I usually measure these all out in the same measuring cup so they are already mixed.) In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together, sugars, salt and egg. Scrape down the bowl then alternately add the dry and the wet ingredients until combined. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake at 350 until the cake springs back when you touch the top.

I baked this in an 8x8 square pan then torted the cake and cut it in 1/2 to got 4x8 layers. I layered this with a buttercream spiked with Hazelnut Liquor and more of the Siagon Cinnamon. I would double up the recipe and put it in a bundt pan or something like that, maybe slathered with a really great cream cheese frosting.

4 comments:

briarrose said...

Looks delicious. I love the hazelnut in the buttercream

Mary said...

that looks amazing...wow.

Eliana said...

Hmmmm - it looks glorious!

El explorador gastronĂ³mico said...

Se ve increible! :D fELICIDADES!