Friday, November 5, 2010

FFwD: Potato Gratin

I don't mean to bore you guys with lame stories from Culinary School but its all I got some days....

The last week or so of school is pretty boring. It's supposed to be like our introduction to the production kitchen or something to that effect. But really what it was was a smorgasbord of food. I think since we were becoming pastry chefs, we (ok maybe just me) were ravenous for savory food. So we scavenged things from the school pantry and cooked things... just to eat. One of the instructors I can't remember who introduced us to the wonderful world of Gruyere, with potatoes, and cream and onions. I think it was Chef George, who also made us Ginger Beer and I will never ever get over it, I wish I had a chilly glass right now. I've been making it ever since.... the potatoes that is, not the beer (but oh how I wish!). I made it last year for Thanksgiving, it almost caused a riot because I didn't have mashed potatoes. Until they tried them and they were immediately converts. I don't think I have to make mashed potatoes. Ever. Again.

Dorie's are a little bit more refined with all the garlic infused herbi-ness but just as good in a different sorta way. Maybe I will merge the two this year for the holidays... a Gratin Hybrid. You can get with the program and buy Around my French Table where you can find the recipe for Potato Gratin, on pages 360 and 361. Join in the fun over at French Fridays with Dorie... hey you don't even have to have a blog! No one reads them anyway ;)

6 comments:

Clivia said...

Wow. You've got a lovely crisp topping on yours. Nicely done!

Eliana said...

This gratin looks PERFECT! Gruyere is such a wonderful thing. I used some in a baked mac n cheese this weekend and it was delicious.

Flourchild said...

I just made this and we all loved it here! Your cheese looks so bubbly and hot!

spike. said...

waaaaay better than mashed potatoes!

Steph said...

Love the purple potatoes. And, hey, I read your blog!!!

Candy said...

I loved your comment about Thanksgiving - I decided to stick with mashed potatoes this year - for that exact reason - we'll have some traditionalists at the table. But you've inspired me!