Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Accessory temptation....

Do I really need a glass mixing bowl? Probably not, but I'm so tempted to get one. I blame it on Martha Stewart and her fancy pants show with their glass bowls....


When I was in culinary school, we started out with big white professional Kitchen Aid mixers and for some reason the school, in their infinite wisdom, took away all the Kitchen Aids and gave us these ridiculous Hamilton Beach mixers. The Hammies, as we called them, were big pieces of crap. I would stare longingly at the locked racks of Kitchen Aid mixers in the storage area when I walked by them everyday.....

Maybe this is why I am lucky enough to horde have two Kitchen Aid mixers. A 5 Quart Blue Boy that I got from my in laws many years ago and a Professional 600 I call Bertha. What kind of mixer do you have?

3 comments:

egbkid said...

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and I LOVE it. It is just a regular one, nothing fancy. It has a small bowl, not the one with the handle and pouring spout. I got it about a year ago, brand new, at an auction for 150 dollars :-) SUPER deal!! They are so expensive, it was something i always dreamed of getting but figured i would have to wait until i got married!

Pamela said...

I have a KA mixer as well and I LOVE it! And if I could, I would buy the glass bowl, too. I know it would look so cool on my counter. ;-)

jenn said...

How sad, I've been IN your kitchen and USED your mixer, but did not know you had two!

I guess making you use the Hamilton Beach mixers in culinary school is kinda like when we make kids do math by hand, even though they could clearly use a calculator. Although not as drastic, they figure if you can do it with crappy tools than it will be EASY with the good tools, right?

And yes, the clear bowls are so darn pretty. I always tell myself if I used my mixer more, or had a beautiful kitchen I'd get one, but alas, neither is true!