Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mango Cranberry Chutney

A few weekends ago we went out to help my parents with their rental house. They live in the Devils Inferno of Southern California, aka the High Dessert. As my reward for helping and somehow not bursting into flames the entire weekend my mom gave us a couple of Yellow Mangoes which I found out are called Ataulfo Mangoes. They are super tangy compared to the everyday mangos I'm used to so chutney immediately came to mind.

I set out last weekend to turn them into just that.

Mango Cranberry Chutney
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes

  • 2 C. Granulated Sugar
  • 1 C. White Vinegar
  • 6 Ataulfo Mangoes (peeled and cubed)
  • 1 C. Maui Onion (finely chopped)
  • 1/2 C. Dried Cranberries
  • 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
  • 1 tsp. Dried Ginger

Stir everything together in a large heavy pot and cook for about and hour and a half on low until the mangoes break down and the mixture thickens.

To can your delicious chutney you pour the mixture into sanitized jars and process in a water bath for 15/20 minutes. I got a total of 9 half pint jars from my batch.

In hindsight it might have been funner to make some Chicken Curry and invite some friends over for a party......

No comments: